As a result of market conditions and an unprecedented surge in demand, Shipping times may be longer than normal.
Get Our Free
The Turban Head Eagle, as history has called it, left production in 1804 owing to how often it was exported rather than spent within the United States. However, after Congress cut how much gold was permitted in coinage, this paved the way for the gold eagle's return. The new gold eagle would feature a different design. That was a Christian Gobrecht creation; the Turban Head design had come from Robert Scot, the United States Mint's earliest Chief Engraver. The returning gold eagle would also have a different name to history.
That name was the Liberty Head Eagle - though, with our listing here, we are calling it the Liberty Gold Eagle. While Liberty's head also appeared on the Turban Head piece, the peculiar way that this coin showed the hair wrapped around the cap on that head gave the appearance of a turban. What the same goddess has donned for the Liberty Gold Eagle design is instead a coronet. Many of the coins issued as part of this series show, along that coronet, the word LIBERTY. Flip over to the reverse of one of the coins dated 1866 or later and IN GOD WE TRUST is similarly visible.
That motto - and the wavy banner on which it appears - was placed upon the Liberty gold eagle after the end of the American Civil War. Controversy regarding slavery had sparked that war in 1861; however, four years later, the clash ended with the Union ultimately triumphing over the Confederacy. Long before that war, it was decided that the eagle coin would have .900 fine gold totaling 16.7g - that equates to 258 grains - in mass. Therefore, the per-coin gold content ended up being, overall, 0.48375 Troy ounces. What a boon for investors seeking to make money selling this coin!
Numismatic enthusiasts however, could be more attracted to having the disc displayed in a museum or similar public setting. Such display would be even more welcomed if the design could be seen without difficulty and in a favorable condition. Thankfully, we are able to supply a Liberty gold eagle in Mint State 64 condition. The Sheldon Coin Grading Scale has listed this grade with the grade code MS64. However, what does the grade itself truly indicate?
Put in relatively simple terms, the strike will be average considering the date of issue. Similarly, the luster should reach at least the average standard. Some heavy marks will be present, too. A Mint State 64 piece will not, however, necessarily show an entire mint luster. Even if you disregard the coin's condition, you could still highly appreciate the metal content. That will be 10 percent copper, but the remaining 90 percent will be comprised of gold. Therefore, factors including the coin's metal, designs and history could assist you in amassing a big financial return when selling the piece, should you decide against simply keeping it.
Features of the Common Date $10 Liberty Gold Eagle MS64
Orders placed for products that are not a specific year will be fulfilled with coins of any date, based on availability. Orders of multiple coins may be filled with the same year or a variety of years.
|Coin Series||Pre-33 Gold|
|Coin Type||Investment Grade|
|Modern or Historical||Pre-33|
|Metal Weight||0.4838 oz|